Low friction coatings provide improved performance and service life while eliminating the need for wet lubricants in operating environments that require resistance to heat, chemicals, or clean room conditions.Micro Surface Corporation provides low friction coatings such as Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) for when close tolerances, high heat, and clean room environments must be maintained and MoS2 (Molybdenum Disulfide) for a where "wear in" is necessary and a thicker coating is desirable. Our Nicklon (Nickel Teflon) and Nicklon Plus (Nickel Teflon Plus) coatings provide both lower friction and high corrosion resistance which makes it an excellent coating for rubber injection molds. Additionally, fortified Teflon® and Xylan® address the low friction requirements of engine components, compressors, pumps, and actuation devices.
Lubricity or lubrication's objective is to reduce friction between two mating surfaces to extend the wear life of the components. If the objective is to have a wear in period for the parts to size together then a thicker coating solution is required. If the application is an item with close tolerances or preload factors such as a bearing, then a very thin coating would be best to reduce friction. Be it a brewery, pharmaceutical manufacturing, or food processing industry, the low friction coatings applied by Micro Surface solve the problems they all face.
Although adding a low friction coating adds an additional initial expense to the cost of a component, the long term benefits that are realized far outweigh this by reducing energy consumption which saves money and fuel or battery power and also allowing production to continue for an extended period.
|Low Friction Coating||Coefficient of Friction||Thickness (in.)||Cure Temperature||Operating Temperature|
|Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)||0.035||0.00002"||Ambient||1,200°F|
|Nicklon (Nickel Teflon®)||0.065||0.0002" - 0.002"||200°F||500°F|
|Nicklon Plus (Nickel Teflon® Plus)||0.065||0.0002 - 0.002"||750°F||500°F|
|Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)||0.07||0.0005"||Ambient to 400°F||500°F|
|Teflon®||0.08||0.0006" - 0.0010"||350°F - 715°F||500°F|
|Xylan®||0.08||0.0006" - 0.0010"||350°F - 715°F||500°F|
Coatings to Improve Fuel and Engine Efficiency in Automobiles
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, a third of an automobiles fuel or electric energy consumption is spent overcoming friction which has a direct impact on emissions and miles per gallon (MPG) or Miles per gasoline equivalent (MPGe). However, by coating components of a car with a coating like Tungsten Disulfide WS2, it is possible to reduce the friction on the rubbing and turning of various mechanical parts in the engine, transmission, and exhaust systems such as gears, bearings, pistons, and shafts and as a result improve fuel or energy consumption and emissions and lower CO2 emissions.
|Energy Output||Energy Consumed %|
Low Friction Coating Selection Guide
- In addition to reducing friction, is corrosion protection also required?
- Is reduced friction needed with strong corrosion protection?
- Will there be heavy loads under pressure?
- Is a surface RA finish of less than 15 required?
- MSC recommends Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)
- Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)
- Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) is a low friction dry lubricant coating that improves performance and service life better than other dry lubricants by reducing friction, improving mold release, and solving problems of excessive wear, seizing, galling and fretting. It was originally developed to eliminate galling of SS on Aluminum, steel on steel or aluminum on aluminum and can take high loads and pressures and can be applied to DLCs.
- Nicklon (Nickel Teflon®)
- Nicklon is a homogeneous distribution of autocatalytic nickel and PTFE, there is a continual renewal of PTFE as the component surface sustains normal wear.
- Nicklon Plus (Nickel Teflon® Plus)
- Nicklon Plus takes the original Nicklon coating a step further by adding an additional low friction top coat that makes the coating harder.
- Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)
- Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is a dry film lubricant that prevents corrosion, galling, seizing and fretting to extend wear life when operating at temperatures between -350°F and +500°F.
- Teflon® PTFE non-stick coatings have a low coefficient of friction and temperature resistance up to 500°F. They also offer good abrasion and chemical resistance and can be applied to aluminum, carbon steel and stainless steel.
- Xylan is a dry film lubricant that is used on a number of surfaces to reduce friction even at high loads, prevent wear and galling, and provide additional lubrication. It is availible in a number of different formulations to best perform with the component requirement.
|Component with Friction Problem||Recommended Low Friction Coating|
|ABS rings||Xylan 1010|
|Bearings||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Cam rings||Xylan 1331|
|Connecting rods||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Exhaust systems||Xylan 1010|
|Fan drives||Xylan 1014|
|Injector-pump cam rings||Xylan 1331|
|Lock mechanisms||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Noise reduction||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Piston rings||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Seat-belt clips||Xylan 1052|
|Seat tracks||Xylan 1014|
|Sleeve bearings||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Turbocharger parts||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Valves||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Air Cylinder Pistons||MoS2|
|Sliding Bearings||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Ball Valves||Xylan 1010|
|Cams||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Carburetor Shafts||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Carburetor Throats||Xylan 1010|
|Fan Blades||Xylan 1010|
|Gears||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Pistons||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Pneumatic Components||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Shafts||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Automotive||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Aerospace||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Defense||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Plastic Tooling||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Release for Plastic Molding||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Bearing Dry Lubication||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Industrial||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Long Wear Life for Automotive & Defense Department/Military||Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)|
|Components that require additional Corrosion Protection||MoS2|
|Components that require additional Chemical Resistance||MoS2|