Whitford R&D set out to engineer what seemed unattainable: nonstick coatings that would not only last longer but also maintain their nonstick for much more time. The result is a totally new coating system called Eterna®. Eterna® is unique technology in fluoropolymer composites that creates significant improvements in release properties greater than any individual fluoropolymer.
Eterna® has been tested to be 26 times better than one of today's best-known, most popular nonsticks, and more than 10 times better than the nearest top-end competitive nonstick system. Another advantage of the new Eterna® system and its unique technology is that the coating has an extremely smooth, reflective finish, which gives it a higher gloss than other nonstick coatings, which is attractive to potential customers at point-of-sale.
Eterna® is a two-coat system and is extremely user-friendly. To the cookware manufacturer this means, compared to the usual highend three-coat systems, simpler application and less inventory to manage. Whitford laboratories subjected Eterna® to other tests to confirm the longer-lasting release life. In the 'Tiger Paw' test, for example, Eterna® outperformed all other coatings tested. In the LGA (popular in Europe), it outperformed all others tested and, in fact, still provided excellent release after the test. No other nonstick that survived the LGA test had release approaching that of new Eterna®.
11 Key Facts About New Eterna®
- In the Dry-Egg test, Eterna®'s nonstick/release lasted 26 times longer than a leading brand, and 10 times longer than the premium nonstick tested. Also is a clear winner in the Tiger Paw and LGA Shaker tests.
- Has extremely high gloss to attract consumer's eye at point-of-sale.
- Offers film thicknesses of 1.0-1.5 mils (25-37 microns) for extra wear if customer so wishes.
- Comes in two coats for reduced inventory, easier application (can be three-coat if customer prefers).
- Uses conventional cure equipment (no change in oven).
- Requires no special equipment (easy to handle with existing spray line).
- Is user-friendly throughout entire application process.
- Uses standard surface preparation (surfaces must be clean; aluminum surfaces can be blasted or etched chemically; stainless steel must be blasted).
- Works perfectly on stainless steel and aluminum (pressed, cast or hard anodized).
- Is dishwasher-safe.
- Withstands use with metal utensils.